Tuesday, September 4, 2007

It's a start

Yes. I listen to a lot of dinner table politics. I listen to a lot of other stuff about the people around me as well, what they did, what they should have done, and why they did it. Not to mention the general laughing at of people. But that’s getting away from my point.

My family talks a lot about Malaysia in general – the news we read, the things we hear. We’ve discussed many topics, ranging from Lina Joy, to photos of Jesus holding a beer, to the education system. But no matter how much we may complain and whine about problems, nothing is going to change unless we step forward, and do something. Sometimes Dad will say, “Why don’t you write about this to a newspaper?”, but nothing will happen. We’re too lazy to do simple things.

I'm sure you'll all agree with me when I say this. Malaysians are very lazy people. Have a sweet wrapper in your pocket? Oh well, just throw it on the floor, someone will pick it up. So what if there’s a bin a few feet away? It’s okay to throw away your plastic bottles out the window, just watch out you don’t hit anybody. Voting? Why register? Does one vote really matter?

I’m glad that we’ve started this blog. It means more responsibility for me, but at least I can speak up for what I believe in. If there is one thing I hope to achieve for this blog, it would be to change someone out there for the better. I may not know everything about what is going on around me, but changing what's around you starts with yourself. This is a start for me, and I hope to keep going.

No comments: