Saturday, September 1, 2007

I'm Not Always Disappointed

I watched the fireworks from a distance that could be best described as not-too-close and yet not-too-far. Yes, it was nice. But it was all for show.

So, let's get philosophical and pessimistic here. Malaysia, like the fireworks, is all for show. Besides the fact that we have the second (soon to be third) tallest building in the world, as well as other ephemeral billion dollar (not ringgit) symbols of the "Malaysia Boleh" spirit, what else can we boast about?

Our public transport? Education system? Infrastructure? Football team?

We are not world class. At least, not in everything that we claim to be. So stop with the lies. But then again, let the country without sin throw the first bomb stone.

Yet, I'm not always disappointed. At the very least, we do have people who care for our country. Who are bright, intelligent thinkers. Yes, visionaries, if I may call them. There is not a single country in the world that can do without constant reformation. Malaysia is no exception. We seriously need some changes.

But besides the people I've met, known and read or hear about who do provide me some hope, are there other things that give me cause for realistic optimism? Yes. It is hard to deny that Malaysia has gone somewhere since its independence, exactly 50 years ago. And it is hard to deny that we have changed for the better. But while we may have our grievances and grouches with the state of our country, I would say that things will change for the better. They always do.

This is not to say that change (of the good sort) is inevitable, hence we just ought to sit back and relax. Change needs a driver. And I can yell out "You!" right now, but then "You!" means you, and I can't control you.

Perhaps I can only tell you what you should be doing (although at this point it would be "do as I say not as I do", because I do not always live up to my own expectations, hehe). It is, in the end, your choice.

I don't complain. Well, I try not to complain. It's easy to run away from a situation you don't like. It's easy to complain and accept it grudgingly (you may not like it, but at least it doesn't cause you too much discomfort). But complacence is the enemy of change.

I do believe we have much to thank our present government for. Their most priceless gift, so far, is peace (in the sense of having an absence of war). How many countries yearn for it! Why then, do people come here to work? Why do people come here to holiday, study and do so many other things?

Yet nevertheless, there are many things which we can start changing. I just named a few of our problems in the beginning, but of course there is even more. A lot of people have voiced out their concern over the lack of freedom of religion and such things as the New Economic Policy and other racially biased policies and practices.

This is no perfect country, but that is no excuse for not wanting a change for the better.

As I wrote, if you agree, then do something. But if you don't, or haven't really thought about it...well, I hope this makes you think. If only a little. I am concerned and a lot of others are, too. A change for the better wouldn't hurt, right?

Selamat Hari Merdeka.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. Complaining without even trying to change the things we can change is a horrid malaysian attitude. All change starts somewhere, no? The need in this country is for our generation to take OWNERSHIP of this country in a sense. It can't be our parent's country, or someone else's. We have to take it as our own. Only in that can we ever truly start to want to change the things we can :)